Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Image in the Writing Industry--or Any Industry.

Oddly enough, with all the things I've read about writing, the How To's and the Don't Do's, I have never, ever seen anything about Image.

Well, I am going to go ahead and touch on this, but only a little. I have seen some shocking ideas of what authors seem to think is okay to put out there, from Facebook posts to photos. And though I would love to script for you a picture to paint in which you can visualize and discuss, I won't, because the things I have seen and read are so particular that the individual (or individuals?) in question could spy this blog post and know who I'm referring to. And honestly, my motto is never call out another author by name, and certainly not by obvious les faux pas, either.

Some things to think about when campaigning for your book, or your art, or your business: Photos and blurbs and class, oh my! That last one I'm a real stickler for.

Now, I believe in saying silly things on Facebook, or even making personal statements that bring me closer to my followers as a human being, but watch the sort of things you post and write. Don’t use Facebook and Twitter as a platform to harass others for their ideas and to trumpet your own ideas of what you think of “these types of people or that”. It’s beyond me, but one author I know is ever cranky and always putting people down for things they like, or things they don’t like, and realize this, when you do that—when you generalize people—you’re putting down potential readers and/or friends, especially those in the business who might have otherwise had a healthy respect for you and your work, in which case, you never know… Sometimes it just takes the one right person to take notice to either make or break us.

And for God sake, please, please, use the proper photography. Never use a candid photo for an online interview (unless it's fortuitously charming), even if it's only for your friends blog. Potential fans or, worse, potential employers and sponsors may see that. And don't use selfies. Do. Not. Use. Selfies. You may only want to use these photos if their part of some shtick (or again, fortuitously charming), but if you want others to take you seriously, take yourself seriously, first. You set the example you want others to appreciate. If you can’t get a professional photo taken, then take the best flattering photo you can on a smart phone; at least it will look as though you’re trying.

Also, be mindful of how the photo looks. I'll give you one example: I saw an author take a photo with their phone and there was a hair on the lens. Never mind the fact that the photo itself was unacceptable, but that piece of hair! I couldn't believe someone would take a photo like that, and I though for sure that hair must be on my phone screen because, like I said, who would take a photo like that and then use it for professional promotion? I had a hell of a time getting that piece of hair off of my phone. I tried holding the damn screen still because, as you can imagine, it kept moving every time I wiped at it. Because, once more, it didn't occur to me that someone would actually allow that photo to be used to promote themselves. So I was stupid, the joke was on me. 

Another thing: I've read blog interviews in which the author puts his/her readers/reviewers down, calling them stupid for not understanding his or her work. Tsk, tsk. Not everybody is going to "get" or understand your writing--it's not going to appeal to everyone. And just because you receive a lousy review doesn't mean your writing is bad; it just happens to be that individual’s opinion. I've become aware of writers who go after those who give them sub par reviews. Fortunately, this poor behavior has only extended to social media, but unfortunately, social media can reach pretty far. God forbid it ever turns into a real live stalking situation. I wouldn't put it past some of the writers I've come across to sink to that level.

Just bear some of these things in mind if you care to. Image is everything, regardless of the type of industry you’re in.


No comments:

Post a Comment