Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Frightening Thing About Putting Myself Out There.

I very often wind up panicking. As a first time soon-to-be published author who has written about a popular entity I'm afraid of not only what my influences will think, if they think anything at all, but often if I did something wrong. The latter stems from the fact that I basically wrote fan-fiction about a real-life, well-known figure that many people are actually very interested in. I respect Billy the Kid and what he represented, and the last thing I wanted to do was do anything that was in anyway disrespectful to someone else’s life, but to tell his story I absolutely had to tell it in a different way, otherwise I'd be a thief and a hack. I try to remember that the reality is this…with all the celebrities that people are so caught up in, and all the writers who are brilliant and extraordinarily successful, who the hell is ever really going to concern themselves with what I’ve done other than me? I fight with myself as to whether or not I met my ultimate writing goal or not, and I think the point I’m trying to make here is, when it comes down to it, it only matters if I’m proud of myself for what I’ve accomplished, and I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment