Saturday, October 26, 2013

How To Handle Manuscript Submissions

When you are finally done that manuscript and are ready to submit it to a publisher, things can seem quite confusing. Because of this, I've already submitted a post in my blog that states both the difficulties and the ways to navigate this particular endeavor (Attempting To Get Published).

Before submitting my manuscript to a publisher back in January 2013, I had joined Harper Collins' website (Authonomy.com) as an extra effort to make sure I would be submitting the best manuscript I could. The site is excellent in the sense that many aspiring authors (as well as seasoned authors) post their manuscripts for critiquing amongst their peers. It is the equivalent of a writer's group, only with the added benefit of convenience by being held online, and in the event that your book is a good one, one has a good chance of having it rise through the ranks simply based on word of mouth. If your novel is good enough, other aspiring authors will place it on their shelves to be read, and so-on-and-forth. It will get around. And finally, if that is the case, if your book makes it into the top 5 and finally to the coveted No. 1 spot, Harper Collins will consider that manuscript for publishing.

The downside, however, is this...The aspiring writers who are critiquing your work are amateurs, just like yourself, provided you are a 1st time author. What do they know? Well, truthfully, if they are avid readers such as myself, they can in fact offer quite a bit to help one improve upon their writing. However, that said, they are still not professional editors and cannot take the place of one.

Now I am not going to get in to how to find a publisher as, like I've said, that information can be found within my first post. But for those of you who are still in the thought process in regards to writing a book, I may be able to add a little something else...

When I wrote my book about Billy the Kid, I initially began it as a biography. Well...I quickly abandoned that approach as there are already TONS of biographies out there.

One of the most important rules of writing is to write what you know, especially if it is your first novel. Well, I knew all about Billy backwards and forwards--No problem. So, because I chose to abandon the biography as they are a dime a dozen, I decided that if I were going to take the time to write this novel I was going to write it so that it had the potential of possibly bringing in a fair income. Will that happen? I can't say. I can tell you, however, That Billy the Kid sells!  Unfortunately, obscure topics are often much more difficult for readers to locate. Basically, I'm praying/hoping that my book will be granted the same fortune as all of the other books that reveal the life of William H. Bonney. And as I had mentioned previously in my blog as well, I did not write this book in an orthodox manner. I wrote it through the eyes of a fictitious, young wealthy socialite from the east who had been sent to New Mexico to marry Billy's employer and owner of the land Billy and the other hired-hands worked

The reason I told you ALL of this information just to get to the part where I discuss the publisher is this:

I wrote about Billy the Kid, therefore, I checked out the very same publishers who publish books on him and other western literature. My first choice was Sunstone Press, the very same publisher who publishes the books on the accepted, undisputed authority on Billy the Kid, Frederick Nolan. When Sunstone Press accepted my book (very quickly I might add), I was so very, unbelievably excited! I was going to be published alongside the very man whose books taught me about my subject, not to mention the man who is undisputed to be the expert on Billy the Kid.

My novel is an epic length (130,000 words) which is difficult for a first time author to get published. Remember, publishers want to make money, and to do this they need to spend money on you in order to get your book out there in addition to running marketing campaigns, etc., etc...

As a 1st time author on their payroll, you must remember that you are at their mercy--don't argue! Of course you may voice your concerns and opinions, but don't be a pain in the ass; don't make them sorry they administered a contract to you.

The option of self-publishing is a wonderful ability now, but before you decide to turn to that, try seeking out a publisher first!

Now, I was nervous! Under Sunstone Press's website (Sunstone Press) they have several groups of genres. They have Outlaws, which most of you ought to know that is what Billy was considered and is found under that category. They had a genre marked strictly for cowboys, which of course Billy the Kid is found under as well. However, Billy has his own genre--Click on "Billy the Kid" and it takes you to all of the books they sell/published on the infamous, notorious outlaw. This had me extremely anxious! But no matter, I submitted my manuscript nonetheless because if you want to be a writer you have to ignore the personal roadblocks and go for it. You have to leave the fright far behind!

Upon receiving a letter from the publisher (which could have only meant good news as compared to receiving back your full manuscript) I was thrilled!

And not only did I receive the letter, but within the letter, sent directly from my editor, he  told me that I "obviously knew what I was talking about." Reading those words gave me a heady feeling and I only wish it for each and every one of you who are trying to get your foot in the door in the publishing community!

Now that I've mentioned that last bit yet again, as I've discussed it in my first post, please remember that you must submit your manuscript to a publisher that deals with your genre. For example, you do not want to send a horror or thriller story to a publisher that strictly prints books on gardening! This is where researching your publishers come in, and that being said, be prepared to be rejected more than once! But don't lose heart! A true writer who believes in their brainchild will not give up!

Now, that being said, be sure you spend the $35 dollars to copyright your precious work!!! Take no chances!

A publisher/editor doesn't want to see a sloppy submission, so go to the site of the publishing house you want to submit to and be sure to find out what they require in forms of submissions; usually one example chapter, an Author's Bio, a Marketing Plan, Brief Synopsis, and in my case, a movie treatment in the event it is sold to Hollywood. And please remember that the last thing you want to do is come off cocky in your submission! You should certainly appear confident, but watch your tone! Remember...you are humble as a new author--a publisher/editor holds your future or literary happiness in their hands, so respect that.

For some extra help, go to the Literary Market Place to research publishers.

I have been writing since I was six years old, and now I'm in on how it all works. It used to seem so hard, difficult, and confusing, and certainly submitting a manuscript was not as easy as it is today!

One of the MAJOR rules to consider is to make sure your writing is clear and that you've edited your work before submitting it. No editor/publisher wants anything to do with a potential author who doesn't bother to even submit the necessary work right.

And remember to please, please, please come to any one of us published authors with questions. We're all only too happy to help :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment