Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Writing Process

This is another short blog, so hopefully your ADHD keeps itself in check. How do I know you have ADHD? Because all writers do.

Every writer has/needs a process.

My process consists of driving my car with my music blaring loudly. When I find myself stuck (and not due to writer's block, mind you-that's completely different), I take to my car, blare my music, and by the time I come home, hours later, I have the answer.

One of the most important habits you can have as a writer is, no...not drinking or drugs, but a process!! You need something in your life that allows you to tune all else out (or even if it doesn't tune all else out, it's simply just some time for you and yourself) so you can contribute important ideas to yourself.

When I'm driving other things have a tendency to get in there: Work, marriage, family, friends, life in general, yada yada....but ultimately, when I get home, I've got the answer to the riddle I was trying to solve in my writing--when I left my house in the first place.

EVERY WRITER NEEDS A PROCESS!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Just learned that my daughter was diagnosed with ADD, she just started high school. Writing for school has always been the worst for her but I think we've got the best word processor that works for her, it’s called INK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting to use a standing desk really helped, another huge boost was when my colleague the INK for All word processor

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is a freshman, he suffers from ADHD. Writing assignments are a challenge. His counselor encouraged him to try writing in the INK for All content tools. It's designed to be distraction-free. All of the accessibility features like the ability to collapse spelling, grammar, etc recommendations are impressive. This seemed like a good place to tell others: http://bit.ly/2DWi1K9

    ReplyDelete